Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tiger Leaping Gorge and Why People Travel


Tiger Leaping Gorge, a trek that all backpackers to Yunan will do, also a trail that was part of the Ancient Tea and Horse Trail.

Didn't think I'd be doing it alone (in parts at least) But a landslide blocked the road to a hostel I was heading to, where I could have found potential hiking companions. So I ended up doing it alone, which turned out to be quite enjoyable.

At the first guesthouse. I read the entire guestbook that night. It reminded me of how travelling can be such an alternate state of mind.

"Toto:I hope that 10 years later, you will be able to read this. By then, you must have become a strong young man. I'm waiting for the day..."

"We are always on the road. What are we looking for? For me, I'm looking for that something that touches me. I'm looking for that world that can only be found in my dreams. I am looking for that one-love which I have lost and which I miss: love for one tree; love for that one gust of wind that blows through the mountains; love for this sky, sprinkled with shinning stars."

"I haven't been very happy. The future is full of uncertainties. I've lost the goals I had after a few things happened. A life without direction is terrifying. I'm starting to doubt if it is worth my efforts. I hope I can find my answers on the road. "

"I've dreamed of this trip for the longest time and finally I have arrived here. I suddenly realized, it's not a particular place that I like, I just like being on the road. I hope, I can always be on the road."

" No matter how beautiful the night sky, how bright the stars, it's so different without you around. To travel is to escape, but there's only so long you can stay away. I am not among the shinning stars that you so love..."

Is it unethical to share on the world wide web such intimate moments someone had with his/ her surroundings? But they're so poetic, I thought I'd share.

Next morning, I Woke up to this.

Naxi GuestHouse: A night's stay & dinner and breakfast = 38 yuan




Really taking my time.

Found some company later on the second day.

The other hostel with a beautiful view of the gorge. Reminds me of 夏蕙酒店 and Stella :)

It was a beautiful hike. I want to come back next time between October and May, when I 'd be able to see the two snow mountains Yulong and Haba.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple life is somehow difficult to be achieved in cities =) Life in nature is the best!! I wish I could escape from this busy city too ~~

Unknown said...

hey fat han, thx for checking my ps, it helps alot. Have fun, u look pretty xD

Anonymous said...

Hi HY!!!!!!!
I m juz back from Prague & read your web tonite...
Good to read your pasages & c your photos, u look great!
Haha, really miss our Italy trip a lot! Looking fwd to travelling w u soon!! :D